I've been thinking a lot about this summer being my last before I go away to college. I'm not sad that high school is going to be over soon and I'm not sad that I won't be able to see my friends as usually as I do which can't be said for a lot of people my age. This isn't me trying to brag about how emotionally secure I am because it's okay to be sad about this being the end but there's a problem when it starts to ruin your life.
I wanted to talk about coming to terms with change. I've been experiencing a lot of my "lasts" in terms of being a kid and it has made me realize how often things change. If you really think about it, every single second is a small change in life that you don't pay attention to. For example, as I'm writing this, each second that passes is one second closer to me posting this entry, someone possibly reading it, and hopefully, someone learning from it. Another example, each second that passes is one second closer to my next birthday which means I'm getting older, wiser, and definitely cooler.
What I'm trying to say is that change happens so often that it doesn't deserve the amount of anxious energy we pour into it. If something happens for the last time, to me, that's a sign to find something new. Don't be scared of the change that you recognize as inevitable. People spend way too much time worrying about things they can't control. I can't control the fact that I turn 18 in five months, that's just how life goes. Instead of freaking out over getting old, what I can do is enjoy my last few months as a 17 year old and get as excited as possible for being an 18 year old.
I'm a firm believer that everything happens for a reason. Specifically, I believe that every change in life, even if it doesn't feel good at the time, has everything to do with teaching you something. Change is life's learning curve and you can either get with it or stop evolving.
A little evolution never hurt anyone.
Stay frosty, YBG
No comments:
Post a Comment